Diet in Fertility
Is it possible that a particular diet can “cure” fertility problems?
No… it doesn’t ….
Researchers have found that eating healthy nutrient rich food is good for reproductive health.
Following so called fertility superfoods can be considered …..
- Sunflower seeds:Excellent source of vit E. Helps in sperm motility, count and improve DNA fragmentation.
- Fresh orange and grapefruit juice:Rich source of polyamines putrescine…. Improves sperm and egg health
- Tomatoes:Both raw and cooked tomatoes contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant…. Has potential role in improving male fertility.
- Full fat dairy and cheese:Mature cheese is high in putrescine.
Full fat dairy products is known to stimulate production of Insulin like growth factor (IGF 1), which helps in ovulation.
- Pomegranate:High in antioxidants which can help in male infertility.
- Walnut:Rich source of healthy fats like omega 3, omega 6 fatty acids, boosts fertility.
- Lentils & Beans:Good source of protein. Lentils contain polyamine spermidine which may help in fertilization. It being good source of folate helps in pre conceptional and foetal health. It is also a rich in fibres.
- Eggs:Contain high proteins, vit B, omega 3 fatty acids and choline, makes it not only fertility boosting food but also for overall healthy diet.
- Pineapple:Contains vit C, Bromelain, has anti-inflammatory qualities.
- Fish: Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, selenium and vit D.
Selenium had role in sperm health. Low levels are vit D are seen in PCOD, shown to reduce fertility.
- Cinnamon:Cinnamon is shown to have positive effects in diabetic patients, helps in lowering insulin resistance, has role in polycystic ovarian disease.
- Healthy food along with exercise helps in maintenance of weight.
At least 30 mins brisk walk per day helps.
Loss of 5% of body weigh in obese PCOS patients helps in resumption of ovulation.
Underweight females can face menstrual irregularities.
BMI between 18.5 – 24.5 is considered normal.
- In summary…..Diet rich in vegetable protein, high fat dairy, omega 3 fatty acids, high fibre enriched with vitamins, minerals helps in overall and reproductive health.
While trans fats, diet high in carbohydrates like potatoes, sweets, sweetened beverages, high consumption of red meat can have negative impact.
Supplementation with Folate, Vit B, omega 3 fatty acids have positive effect.Eat good …… Exercise ……… stay healthy…..